Headlines flashing about the death tolls in Haiti report crazy high numbers of casualties, and those just account for human lives. If you’re thinking what we’re thinking, you’re wondering WHAT ABOUT THE ANIMALS?? We’ve compiled a list of groups that are helping domestic and feral animals and wildlife post-quake. We haven’t evaluated all of them but we wanted to let you know what’s up, right here, right now. If you know of other groups aiding animals, or if you come across more animal-related quake news, please comment or e-mail. We’ll update this post as we find out more.
Groups helping animals in Haiti
- Sodopreca (Spanish)
This is the only Dominican animal group going to Haiti specifically to rescue animals. Want to go with? E-mail Marco fast; they leave for Haiti on Friday.
- International Fund for Animal Welfare
It looks like they’re focusing on human needs first and animals second. They say on their website, “After … immediate human needs are met, IFAW’s Emergency Response team will be ready to assist the animal victims in any way that we can. In the meantime, please keep the people and animals of Haiti in your thoughts.”
- Christian Veterinary Mission
- Veterinarians Without Borders
They haven’t mentioned Haiti yet, but we hope they’ll get involved!
- UPDATE: We are having a bake sale! Proceeds go to Sodopreca. It’ll be at Vegan Drinks on Thursday, January 28, 7 to 9 p.m. Help us by baking and/or emptying your wallets for cupcakes!
- And so are these guys, Mooshoes, Saturday, January 31, 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Can you make it/bake it for both?
Animal-related news on Haiti
- You can find the Humane Society of the United States‘ statement here. HSUS says, “Humane Society International and The Humane Society of the United States are working with other animal welfare and humanitarian organizations to determine how best to assist animals and people affected by the disaster. We have offered our support in providing care to affected animals and will post updates as they become available.”
- The World Society for the Protection of Animals is keeping tabs on their Animals in Disasters blog. With the IFAW, the WSPA will be working on ground-level relief for animals. You can donate at the blog.
- Best Friends Animal Society is delivering updates via Facebook.
- People seem to be using this animalsinhaiti tag to refer to animal-related quake news on Twitter.
- You can find a list of resources on animals in Haiti, not unlike the one you’re reading now, here at Easy Vegan.
- International Food For Life will be providing vegan meals for people in Haiti. How cool is that?? They’re setting up a “vegan food relief base camp.” Wow, awesome. If you want to volunteer with them, go here. If you want to donate to them, that’s here.