Patrick writes about food and restaurants for SuperVegan. He is an accomplished vegan cook and widely-regarded expert of New York City's vegetarian restaurants (by his friends) - his March '06 article in Satya magazine profiling some of the city's best veggie bets is still widely referenced and proudly displayed by restaurants in their windows.
Since tagging along with his college activist sister at the age of 12 to campaign against sweatshops, Patrick has organized scores of rallies, trainings, and conferences in the animal rights, human rights, and environmental movements.
When not writing for SuperVegan (or eating, cooking, or sleeping), he works to fight animal cruelty as the New York state director for The Humane Society of the United States, the nation's largest animal protection organization.
In his prior lives, he worked at a corporate PR firm where he handled media for the City of New York's animal rescue efforts through the Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals and the Chinatown neighborhood through The September 11th Fund's Explore Chinatown campaign, and was the executive director of the Student Animal Rights Alliance, a field organizer for Amnesty International, and a media assistant for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
He has also served as a lead organizer for the Animal Defense League and Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade, student-area coordinator for Amnesty International, and youth advisory board member of the Center for Environmental Citizenship (now part of the League of Conservation Voters Education Fund).
Patrick firmly believes a meal is not complete unless it has at least three courses.
Blog posts by Patrick Kwan:
- Vegan Foodies Take Note, Mercy for Animals Gala’s Delectable Fare
- Must See TV: HBO Documentary “Death On a Factory Farm”
- “Cooking with Trannies” Debuts on YouTube
- Penny Strategist: How to Get a Candle Seitan Meal for $7.99!
- TONIGHT: LOHV-NYC’s 7th Anniversary Gala
- “A Sealed Fate?” Benefit Screening for HSUS with Nigel Barker
- Tue 11/4 SuperVegan Election Night Party at Red Bamboo Brooklyn with Vegan White Russians, Chocolate Hawaiians, and Joe The Plumber Cocktails
- Photos and Recap of SuperVegan Debate Party at Red Bamboo Brooklyn
- Wed 10/15 SuperVegan Presidential Debate Watch Party at Red Bamboo Brooklyn with $5 Vegan White Russians!
- Will Burritoville workers get screwed?
- Sun, July 27th: Party for CA’s Proposition 2 – The Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act
- Today: Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary Benefit Tag Sale in Williamsburg, Noon to 4pm
- Penny Strategist – The $6 Business Lunch at Pukk
- Penny Strategist – $4 Vegan Vietnamese Sandwiches
- Two More NYC Dunkin’ Serving Soy Milk! Free Iced Coffee Day at Dunkin’ Donuts
- Two DC-area Dunkin’ Donuts to offer soy milk
- Sweet News: VeganTreats lands in DC; Sweet & Sara expands distribution globally; Blossom named NYC best veg restaurant
- This Sun 4/27, Party to Help Farm Animals in NYC and Elsewhere!
- DC’s Sticky Fingers Bakery Lands in NYC!
- Penny Strategist – How to get $15 off at Madras Mahal
- Soy milk at Dunkin’ Donuts?! Where? Here in the East Village at least.
- Penny Strategist – $3.99 All-You-Can Pile Lunch at Little Lad’s Basket
- If I could marry a box of crackers, it’d be vegan and cheddar flavored
- SuperVegan News Tidbits: Natalie Portman’s Vegan Shoe Line, Huckabee’s Cruel PR Ruse, Bostonist Launches Veggiest
- Tiffin Wallah, Veggie Castle II, and More Added to NYC Vegan Restaurant Guide
- YIKES! NYC Veg Restaurant Scene Going Downhill?!?!
- NYC Vegan Restaurant Guide Updates!
- New Carribean Veg Restaurant in Brooklyn; Zen Burger to Open in Midtown
- Get Your Vegan Smores & Marshmallows!
- Craigslist Vegans Seek: Room for Being Nude; Subservient Asian Women; “Kewl Guy” as a Sex Bud
- Cafe Blossom Opens, Another Vegan Park Slope Restaurant?, and more!
- Horizons in Philadelphia
- Larry Craig Hires Michael Vick Lawyer; Animal Haters Apparently Think Alike
- ‘Naughty Boy’ Senator Larry Craig Hates Gays and Animals
- Blossom Will Open New Vegan Restaurant on UWS
- Battle of the Spin-Offs and Knock-Offs
- Mom…Dad…I’m a Vegansexual
- Trader Joe’s Coming to Brooklyn
- I Dream of Freegan Chic (or Who’s Afraid of Freeganism?)
- NYT Public Editor: “There is another side” to Death by Misinformation
- Whole Foods & Wild Oats merger Being Thwarted by Bushies?
- COK Launches VegAustin.com & Restaurant Contest on VegDC.com
- Craigslist Vegans Seek: Daddy, Staten Island Coop Starters, Semen Retention Partner
- What The Cool Kids Are Wearing
- Hain Celestial Group Owns You, Practically
- Tofurky’s New Weiner Packs 12 Inches
- It’s Yo Momma’s Day, You Better Work It!
- Vote for Veg Restaurants in NYC Zagat Survey
- Tidbits: New Vegan Restaurant! – Urban Outfitters – Whole Foods – Buddha Bodai
- Hitler Was a Vegetarian like Bush Was a Valedictorian
- Tofutti to Debut Man Nipple Milk Cheese; Vegan Groups Say “It’s Vegan”
- Whole Foods Bowery Opens Thursday; Pre-Opening Party Tuesday
- Comfort Me With Comfort Food
- NYC Veg Restaurants News
- Tofu in Translation; NYC-style, of course
- Santa Paws is Coming to Town!
- Tofurky Disguise Kit!!
- NYC Veg Restaurants News
- NYC Veg Restaurants News
- TAFA DAY 1: “One Really Does Make the Difference”
- Come Say Hello at Taking Action For Animals!!
- Wowing My Doc With My Vegan Awesomeness!
- A More Veg-Friendly Saveur?
- Josie Sweetie Needs A Home
- I <3 Dumplings, Even Fetus Ones
- Liza Minnelli to host Gay Pride Pet Pageant
- What Sharpies are for…
- Happy Mother’s Day!!
- “Let all the sufferings of the world come to an end in me.”