There are three things I can’t live without: coffee creamer, Tofurky sausages and … oatmeal. I make this just about every day. It’s very cheap, quick to make, yummy, and very filling.
Cat’s Hearty Oatmeal
1 C. Rolled Oats (“old fashioned”, not instant)
2 C. Water
1/3 – 1 T. Turbinado Sugar or Maple Syrup (to taste)
Powdered Ginger (to taste)
Powdered Cinnamon (to taste)
Handful of Walnuts, crushed into small pieces
Handful of Raisins
Handful of Dried Apricots (approx. 5-7), cut into small pieces
1 Banana, sliced into thin rounds
(See seasonal fruit variations below)
1/4 C. Soy/Rice Milk
1. Combine ‘Basics’ and dried fruits in a medium-size pot, stir and cover.
2. Chop fresh fruit into small chunks.
3. Put heat on high and let mixture come to a boil, then immediately drop heat to low.
4. Stir in soy/rice milk and fresh fruit.
5. Cover and simmer on low, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes or until desired thickness (it’s done when it starts sticking to the pot). Remove from heat and let sit one minute.
6. Serve with an extra dash of milk and/or dollop of vegan butter.
Makes 2-3 servings.
Variations: Try mixtures of your favorite fruits (seasonal or otherwise)–fresh peaches, apricots and banana with shredded coconut, or fresh strawberries and blueberries with banana are two favorites (because they cook faster, add the fresh fruit at the very end when you remove the pot from heat and let sit).