Quiche for one.
There’s a lot of room to personalize this, e.g. with a plain white flour crust, different veggies and/or the addition of some vegan cheese. It’s hard to go wrong – no matter what, you’ll probably end up with a tasty and impressive dish which performs excellently at dinner parties. Adapted from the Vegan Family Cookbook.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs. water
- Sift together flours and salt.
- Mix in the olive oil and water with a fork until just combined.
- Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface with a well-floured rolling pin, and transfer to 9-inch baking dish. If you fail at this, however, do like me and just mush the crust into the pan in the right shape.
- 1 bunch spinach, stemmed and chopped
- 6 white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 16 oz. extra-firm tofu, lightly pressed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbs. flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. all-spice
- Sauté onions, spinach and mushrooms in a little oil until spinach is wilted and onions are translucent.
- Mix tofu, yeast flakes, cornstarch, flour and spices in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Fold in vegetables.
- Transfer mixture to the pie crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes.