Diagram of a fruit fly will-finding contraption
- It’s the 15th National Vegetarian Week in the UK. This year’s focus is on the environmental benefits of vegetarianism.
- Scientists at Free University Berlin have deemed that fruit flies have free will. While I can’t endorse the research used to prove such a thing, this will help convince people that animals aren’t just reactive machines.
- A litter of two-legged chihuahuas serves as a disturbing (but still darn cute) reminder of why dog breeding is maybe not such a good thing. (via Poop City)
- A Long Island man was arrested for stealing copper pipes from an abandoned house to pay the vet bill for his cat who was injured in that same house. Do your animal-dependents have health insurance? (also via Poop City)
- Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich was recently a guest on animal activist Bill Maher’s talk show (video, transcript). Towards the end of the segment there’s an odd, circuitous discussion of Kucinich’s veganism, mostly as it relates to health. It seems like Kucinich is going out of his way to not explicitly identify as a vegan. Hmm.