If a monkey can love a pigeon, why can’t we?
There are a bunch of fun city things that are coming up!
- The second Vegan Drinks is next Thursday, June 19, from 7pm to 9pm at Angels & Kings, 500 East 11th Street in the East Village. The last one was great. Make this one even better!
- Pigeons are NYC’s most fabulous mascots and this Friday they will get their props at the National Pigeon Day Celebration in Central Park (June 13, 4-8pm, Pilgrim Hill, 72nd Street & 5th Avenue). It’s not just going to be a bunch of crazy old people with stale bread. This event, hosted by New York Bird Club, will bring out animal-friends like vegan songstress Nellie McKay and LOHV-NYC approved City Council Member/ Mayoral candidate Tony Avella. Come for the pigeon shaped cookies. Stay to get schooled by America’s smartest Bird Lady, Karen Davis of United Poultry Concerns. Also, learn from In Defense of Animals how you can get active for NYC pigeons.
- The 2nd Annual NYC Food Film Festival kicks off at Water Taxi Beach on Saturday, June 14, but the most fun is to be had on the closing night (Friday, June 20, 7pm), which features an all-vegan menu and a couple of films on sustainable farming, among others.
- The 3rd Annual Great Hot Dog Cookoff will take place in a Fort Greene backyard on Saturday, July 12th and for the first time it will have a Veggie Dog category! Amateur vegan chefs (individuals or teams) are encouraged to enter before July 1st. If you just wanna go and stuff your face with beer and dogs, buy a $12 ticket; proceeds go to the Food Bank for NYC.
- If all this urban stuff is a bit much for you, take retreat at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary’s 2nd Annual June Jamboree (this Saturday, June 14, 11am-5pm) There will be friendly farm critters, food, children’s music, and a site specific dance performance from Salvatore LaRusse Dance Company. What a deal for a $10 donation!
For more events, check out our NYC Vegan Events Calendar.