NYC Metro Area Vegan Restaurant Guide
Buddha Bodai (Flushing)
Vegetarian (mostly vegan)
Menu indicates vegan items
$$$$$ (Average entree cost: $10-$15)
- Visa ·
- Mastercard ·
- Cash Only
Look in the Queens Tribune newspaper for a 10% discount cupon for dinner.
Mon-Fri 11am-11pm; Sat & Sun 10:30am- 11pm
Near Queens Botanical Gardens. 7 train to Main Street-Flushing. At Cherry Ave.
Buddha Bodai (Flushing) does not deliver.
Vegetarian kosher chinese restaurant with afternoon dimsum options.
Other location: Buddha Bodhi
Review by HJD on August 23, 2010:
- For four of the last six Sundays, we have been having dinner at Buddha Bodai, an amazing kosher Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Flushing Queens. And to say that we are thrilled with the dishes we've eaten there would be putting it mildly! The labels of "kosher" or "vegetarian" don't begin to describe their wonderfully creative dishes which are so unique that they go far beyond these simple labels. We started out with dishes such as Sesame Beef, which of course was meatless, in a delicious sauce and served on a bed of broccoli--it was wonderful and we continue to order it as one of our two dishes whenever we go there. The staff there encouraged us to try other dishes such as Mixed Vegetables in a Taro Bowl--which had such a multiplicity of flavors that it was almost overwhelming. This evening, we tried their Mango (mock) Chicken dish, served in a lightly cooked, split mango with peppers and mushrooms. The tastes and presentation of this dish left us almost giddy!
Buddha Bodai has a unique atmosphere and attracts an interestingly diverse clientele, from Orthodox Jews to Pakistani families to Buddhist monks and Chinese social groups. It is never very noisy, and we have become very fond of the wait staff, as well as the chef, who likes to come out of the kitchen and converse with us and other customers. If you come out to Queens to Buddha Bodai, I think you'll find this to be the best Chinese food that you've ever had.
Review by RichBeBe on February 26, 2010:
- Updated: Went there in November for the first time in a few years with family. My sister and mother who both have worked or do work in the hospitality business laughed at the inept service. I wasn't rude, but poor.
Went back there for lunch a week ago and the service was most excellent. Super friendly, made recommendations, and even joked about the weather. This was not just one waitress, but two and the manager behind the register.
Maybe they are improving and that would be a good thing.
Review by Melissa Bastian on January 28, 2009:
- Take the trip out to Flushing's own Chinatown! It's cool out there, and the 7 train is a unique animal.
I'm not sure what happened to PlomeekSoup or RichBeBe. I've been to the Flushing Buddha Bodai twice, and while it may not have the shine of the Manhattan location I found the service just fine and the food identical.
I've been to the Happy Buddha in Flushing as well, and sure it's pretty inside but I have no recollection of what I ate there; it wasn't really worth remembering. I do remember that the service was almost unforgivably slow and that the seating was uncomfortable, despite the fanciness of the place.
So next time I'm in Flushing, I'll be headed to the Buddha Bodai, thank you very much.
Review by PlomeekSoup on December 2, 2008:
- This place should be amazing, what with its extensive menu, accessible location and spacious seating area.
But it stinks.
I have been about three times now, each time hoping that perhaps I simply ordered the wrong thing, or caught them on a bad day, but I will not return again. The servings are huge, which is nice, except you can't finish your meal because the food is inedible, poorly spiced/salted, messy, boring, etc. The service is horrendous. You get the point.
Do yourself a favor and go to nearby Happy Buddha instead, where the dishes are flavorful, service is tight, the place is packed with Asian locals, and the owners themselves often greet you as you sit down.
Review by RichBeBe on December 8, 2006:
- Good inexpensive lunch options and Dim Sum their meals are pricey. Overall I liked their food but the service sucks so bad I decided not to go back anymore.