NYC Metro Area Vegan Restaurant Guide
13537 37th Ave
Flushing NY 11354
Happy Buddha website
$$$$$ (Average entree cost: $10-$15)
- Visa ·
- Mastercard ·
- American Express
Sun-Thu 11am-10pm; Fri & Sat 11am-11pm.
Between between 37th Avenue and Northern Boulevard. 7 to Main Street.
Happy Buddha does not deliver.
Affiliated with an I-Kuan Tao temple which is upstairs. The staff may ask you to visit the temple and "receive the Dao."
Review by Moonlasers on June 8, 2011:
- If you're vegan or vegetarian, they serve some pretty sexy food here- and show me a carnivore that turns down a plate, it's that kind of satisfying. The atmosphere is subdued, basically the polar opposite of a T.G.I. Friday's; the staff won't try to upsell you, in fact it was suggested to my party to skip an additional entree based on their portion sizes which to me says they have their priorities straight. Free Parking and location a plus, but being buddhist, no booze. eh. it's hardly even an issue, get a fruit shake and feel goooooooooooood about yourself.
Review by Pei-Cen on August 11, 2009:
- Happy Buddha is my favorite chinese restaurant. I eat there 3-4 times a month... for the past few years. They serve authentic Chinese/Taiwanese dishes. The noodle dishes are especially good. The restaurant is spacious and the ambiance is serene. (The restaurant is affiliated with the Buddhist temple next door.)
P.S. It takes skillful maneuvering to get to the parking right downstairs.
Note: They happily display the VegForLife guides I drop off with them.
Review by vegyum on June 4, 2009:
- take note- they serve dim sum that are mostly for $2! 11am-3pm everyday
Review by vegyum on June 3, 2009:
- I tried Happy Buddha a few days ago (thanks to PlomeekSoup) instead of Buddha Bodai, and I will say, it is now my place of choice in fliushing (better than Bodai!) The restaurant is clean, spacious, and the food was yummy. I'm excited to try new dishes. The owner did in fact greet my mom and I, which great. This is the kind of Flushing vegan place I've been looking for.
Note- they have Smoothies- one which lists "wey" (assuming that's whey) as one of their ingredients
Review by PlomeekSoup on December 2, 2008:
- Happy Buddha is the best Asian mock-meat restaurant in Flushing, and perhaps in Queens. With huge portions of appetizers, soups and entrees that you can easily share between two people, the prices are right (smaller portions are served during lunch, but for $6, it's a great mid-day deal).
Since I'm spoiled by the dim sum at Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Manhattan, I tend to stick with Happy Buddha's soups and mock chicken. Occasionally I'll go for the ginger tuna or the pepper steak (which is more like fake gyro meat sliced off the spit - tasty but simple) but it's hard to go wrong with this place.
It's but a block or two from the Main Street stations (7/LIRR) and has its own private parking garage (this comes in handy in Flushing, which is SUPER congested with cars everywhere you turn) making accessibility a non-issue. My only beef is that they have a $20 minimum on credit card charges, but otherwise I love this place.
They also have a large private party room in the back should you need such a thing.