NYC Metro Area Vegan Restaurant Guide
705 Ninth Avenue
New York NY 10019
Not Vegetarian (decent vegan options)
Menu does not indicate vegan items
$$$$$ (Average entree cost: $5-$10)
- Visa ·
- Mastercard ·
- American Express ·
Sun-Wed: 6pm to 11pm; Thurs-Sat: 6pm-midnight.
Between 48th and 49th Street. C, E to 50th Street.
Kyotofu does not deliver.
Dessert bar that explores the sweet wonders of tofu. The soy ice creams (soft serve!) are vegan; the rest of the menu changes seasonally, so ask what's available--they usually have a couple different choices.
Review by vautrin on March 7, 2011:
- very tasty, but for a place with tofu in almost every item, you'd think they could be a little more vegan friendly... got the tofu dips, which were all amazing, and a noodle soup which looked vegan, but i was a little worried might secretly have bonito in it... Didn't manage to totally figure out from our waiter which desserts were vegan, but the ones we got seemed to be, hopefully? They were definitely delicious.
Review by Minion of Seitan on March 13, 2010:
- Perhaps they have taken the comments here to heart but the staff was very forthcoming about vegan options. There were three options (besides the sorbet) the day we dined at Kyotofu: a soft serve "sundae" and a chocolate cake w/ coconut sorbet. Both were amazingly delicious and beautifully prepared. The staff was very friendly and helpful. And, the vegan chocolate cake was labeled as such on the menu.
Review by beanmail on October 13, 2009:
- The tagline may as well be, "We use tofu in everything, but don't worry: we're not vegan".
The soft serve was good, but I kinda got the feeling they were stopping vegans at the door. They weren't welcoming or initially forthcoming with the vegan info, but eventually shared that SOME menu items can USUALLY be made vegan if you ASK. That didn't sound very promising.
I don't get it: it's Japanese and uses tofu as the main ingredient, yet they add dairy to almost everything. Plus, they are a "Dessert Bar and Bakery" but they have brunch, lunch, dinner, and sake menus that seem to be a secret. Too confusing.
full review & pic: http://a-soy-bean.blogspot.com/2009/10/kyotofu-nyc.html
Review by veggie_chick on August 15, 2008:
- Having just had the vegan soft serve, I'm amending my previous review. Basically go for the soft serve, skip the rest.
Review by veggie_chick on May 28, 2008:
- My friend and I shared the only veganized dessert which was two scoops of sorbet (minus a third that apparently wasn't vegan that night). Rather than giving us an extra scoop of one of the vegan flavors (as we had requested), we were served only two and still charged full price which would have been too much even for 3 scoops. We both wondered why the chef decided to add dairy to practically everything with tofu or some other from of soy. Don't plan on going there again until the staff and menu become more vegan-friendly.
Review by catres on February 13, 2008:
- I wasn't that thrilled not too many vegan options when I went, just had one dessert I could try and it was not to my palate or my wallet's preference.