NYC Metro Area Vegan Restaurant Guide
Red Hot II
349 7th Avenue
Brooklyn NY 11215
Not Vegetarian (decent vegan options)
Menu does not indicate vegan items
$$$$$ (Average entree cost: $5-$10)
- Visa ·
- Mastercard ·
- American Express
Mon-Thurs 11:30am-10:30pm. Fri & Sat 11:30am-11pm. Sun: 1pm-10:30pm.
At 10th Street. F train to 7th Avenue.
Red Hot II delivers.
A lot of the food is vegan, but ask to make sure a given dish from their extensive vegetarian menu doesn't contain eggs.
The original "Red Hot" closed for a few months in 2008 before re-opening as "Red Hot II," with a new owner but the same chef.
Review by catres on February 21, 2009:
- SO they have a new location but same owners (hence Red Hot II), but food is still good. The vegetarian wonton shanghai style is good like the other posters said. Also super impressed with their delivery we're down on 29th St. we called in a delivery order at 10:07 and they had the food at our door at 10:21 which was pretty amazing. Their fake chicken (like General Tso's) is to realistic for me and I stick to the tofu for good classic Chinese food.
Review by JamesR on February 3, 2009:
- I have to thanks the people who recommended the wonton shanghai style, they were wonderful. We have also had the orange tofu, and tofu with peanuts and pepper sauce. The bird's nest dish was really, really bad, but the wonton's more than made up for it. Give Red Hot a try for sure.
Review by PlomeekSoup on December 2, 2008:
- The vegetarian wonton shanghai style (drenched in peanut sauce) is a must-order appetizer, and I usually go for either the kung pao wheat gluten (tightly wrapped seitan medallions in a mild sauce and lots of cashews) or the bean curd orange flavor (decorated with tons of steamed broccoli). Good stuff!
Review by catres on February 13, 2008:
- This place is good if you're in Park Slope and you want Chinese food or in the neighborhood and with omnivores. I've eaten here a few times and it's good but I wouldn't go out of my way to go.
Review by al oof on July 25, 2007:
- the one thing i'll regret about moving my rehearsal space from gowanus to greennpoint (closer to home!) is vegetable wontons shanghai style. sooooooooo good. i typed those o's to the rythm of my saying it. so that is -really- how good. everything else is good too, but without all those o's. i miss it already.
Review by IsaChandra on July 25, 2007:
- Good, reliable vegan chinese food. I especially like the tofu with black bean sauce and the spicy bean curd with peanuts. Not sure if those are the exact names of the dishes, but you'll figure it out. Oh, the chow fun is good, too!