NYC Metro Area Vegan Restaurant Guide
198 Allen Street
New York NY 10002
Palà Pizza website
Not Vegetarian (decent vegan options)
Menu indicates vegan items
$$$$$ (Average entree cost: $15-$20)
- Visa ·
- Mastercard ·
- American Express ·
Mon-Thurs: 4pm - 12am; Fri: 4pm - 1am; Sat: 12pm - 1am; Sun: 12pm - 12am
Allen between Houston and Stanton. Take the F or V to 2nd Avenue or the J,M,Z to Delancey/Essex Street.
Palà Pizza delivers.
$15 minimum. Free delivery between Canal - 14th Street and Broadway - Avenue C.
Pala offers a vegan soy cheese ($2 extra) for several of its pizzas. Their crust is organic and raises naturally for 72 hours. Gluten-free crust and pasta options are available.
Review by debya on February 3, 2010:
- I shared three vegan pizzas with my three dining companions. Daiya and Field Roast work well together, but I really dug that potato-topped pizza. The pizza was definitely above average and the restaurant is lovely (except for the drafty windows), but I'm staying true to my vegan pies at Pizza Plus in Park Slope.
Why didn't I give this place a higher rating? The service. Our waitress was nice overall, but the restaurant ran out of too many things (vegetable chips? CUCUMBERS?) before our 7:15pm arrival on a weekday AND the waitress gave us barely two minutes to collect ourselves after we paid our bill before she asked us to get up and leave so other folks could be seated. I'm always aware of taking up a seat too long, but she came over far too quickly and I will definitely think twice about going back simply because of that unsavory end to an otherwise above average meal.
Review by vegan zagats on January 13, 2010:
- We tried Pala's out on a whim after seeing them on the Daiya site and being on the LES. We were shocked to find a half of the Roman style menu dedicated to their vegan fare. The manager was in and when speaking to her, we were informed that a specific vegan section of the menu was introduced 2 months before.
The gnocchi was perfectly done and the pizza was great, but then they are using Daiya. Bunches of dried oregano on the table added to the flavor.
I find Pala to be quite the contrary to the previous review and the prices are fair, but not cheap.
Review by turtledog on January 6, 2010:
- Came here awhile ago to sample Daiya on the pizza. You get a choice between Daiya and Follow Your Heart. We ordered Daiya but didn't get it. Pizza was undercooked and doughy.
Not many options for vegan. Too pricey. Service was plesant. Won't return.
Review by happie kamper on February 10, 2009:
- I had the potato pesto pizza w/soy cheese and it was freakin' awesome!!! I can't wait to eat it again!!!!
Review by JamesR on February 3, 2009:
- I'm not a huge fan of soy cheese on pizza, or in general, but pala has some pies that do just fine without the cheese. The one I like best is the cherry tomato, garlic and crushed red peppers (or maybe it's an arrabiata?).
For a little nicer joint with some great cheeseless options, go here. It's a great spot, definitely worth the trip.