NYC Metro Area Vegan Restaurant Guide
Perelandra Natural Food Center
175 Remsen Street
Brooklyn NY 11201
Perelandra Natural Food Center website
Vegetarian (mostly vegan)
Menu indicates vegan items
$$$$$ (Average entree cost: $1-$5)
- Visa ·
- Mastercard ·
- American Express
They also accept travelers checks up to $25 and EBT cards.
Juice Bar/Deli hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am-7pm; Saturday 9:30am-7pm; Closed Sundays. Breakfast is served from 8:30am-12 noon, lunch service begins at 12pm. The Juice Bar is now open every day 8:30 am-7:00pm!
Monday through Sunday:
(Supermarket hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-9pm)
M, R, 2, 3, 4, 5 trains to Borough Hall.
Between Court and Clinton Streets.
Perelandra Natural Food Center does not deliver.
Perelandra is Brooklyn's largest natural foods store. New deli menu as of 5/2010-all of the foods now served are vegan, unless otherwise specified, and 95% of the ingredients used to prepare them are organic. Breakfast: Vegan Breakfast Sandwich, Tofu Vegetable Scramble, and vegan soy yogurt parfaits. Lunch: organic vegan soups, casseroles, sandwiches and desserts. Also have coffee and a Juice and Smoothie bar.
Review by squirrely on December 16, 2008:
- they sell vegan wheat-free muffins that weigh like 10 pounds for only $2.25. they're pretty tasty, too. also, the grocery has field roast, which is the tastiest fake meat i've ever had (expensive, though).
Review by naa530 on March 14, 2008:
- Nothing that is served at the deli is premade, you can watch the food being made every day. Almost everything is vegan, the only exceptions being a sandwich with soy cheese, and the 'unchicken' wraps. The two chefs are vegan and will always make the sandwich with soy cheese vegan if you ask, and they'll answer any questions you have about the food.
Review by Red Lurcher on March 13, 2008:
- The food is good, but not amazing. I wish they had more vegan options. A surprising majority of the sandwiches are not vegan, and it seems to be because of stupid, easily replaceable stuff like dressing.
The sandwiches are pre-made and not-too-filling, but much better than those pre-made ones that every health food store carries.
The prices here are a little hard to swallow. I think I'd like Perelandra a lot more (and eat there a lot more) if stuff was cheaper. The breakfast sandwiches are good, but not very filling, and it's hard to justify spending $10 (for two) for an "easy" breakfast.
Review by debya on March 9, 2008:
- The Perelandra lunch counter is the best vegan option near the Brooklyn courts. I usually grab some chips and a drink from the grocery section and ask them to be rung up at the lunch counter where I order a big, tasty sandwich (always less than $5.00 each). The line can get pretty long at lunch time, and the food selection is quite depleated by evening, but because I've never had a bad meal, I just order something other than what I was expecting to be available.
(Note: This is just a lunch counter. No chairs/tables.)
Review by jessmess on March 8, 2008:
- I work right down the street and Perelandra has become my favorite place to grab a quick lunch. The prepared foods are reliably excellent and completely vegan with the exception of optional cheese add-ons. There's always a rotating selection of awesome sandwiches (like Tempeh/Lettuce/Tomato, lentil walnut pate on Eli's rosemary bread, and many more); yummy vegan soups; hot casseroles like vegan lasagna or vegetable risotto; and awesome house-made vegan desserts like chocolate raspberry cheescake and coffee cake. Plus juices, hot carafes of soy chai latte, etc etc etc....It's not the cheapest place (especially for groceries) but I feel good spending my dollars at such a pro-vegan establishment.
Review by missdigi on March 1, 2008:
- I love shopping here for natural & organic grocery items. It is a little bit on the pricey side, but they have a good selection. For people who are into donuts, they have vegan donut holes and packaged single donuts in different flavors. I've never been there when the juice bar/deli is open, but I look forward to checking it out. The lady who always ends up ringing me up is really nice and they definitely look out for their customers. They have a pretty good natural health & beauty products section too.