NYC Metro Area Vegan Restaurant Guide
Champs Family Bakery and Kingsland Sandwich Shop
176 Ainslie St
Brooklyn NY 11211
Champs Family Bakery and Kingsland Sandwich Shop website
View this restaurant's page on other sites: MenuPages | Yelp
Vegetarian (mostly vegan)
Menu indicates vegan items
$$$$$ (Average entree cost: $5-$10)
- Cash Only
ATM machine in the bakery
Prices range from $0.75/mini-cookie up to $15/cake
(Late nite sandwich hours until 4am, but call ahead)
Near the corner of Leonard St
L train to Lorimer St-Metropolitan Ave
G train to Metropolitan Ave-Lorimer St
Champs Family Bakery and Kingsland Sandwich Shop delivers.
$10 minimum via bike delivery
Has absorbed the dearly departed Boneshakers and thus serving sandwiches in addition to sweet baked goods.
"Everything is made vegan, unless a customer requests dairy milk for their coffee or dairy cheese for their sandwich."
Review by hdeweyh on May 1, 2011:
- Just visited today and had a super huge soft and scrumptious cinnamon roll and a yummy coffee with soy. The roll was so good I got more goodies for the road (mini danish, mini bear claw, mini cookie all for under $5!)
I am in love with this vegan oasis.
They have expanded from just being a bakery to serving sandwiches as well, be careful ordering as some of the sandwiches use real cheese.
Review by goldie on February 2, 2011:
- What's going on with this place? There's hardly ever anything there and it seems like what is there is being thrown together. I bought a muffin and it really wasn't good. Very disappointing.
Review by juls on December 3, 2010:
- I am like a kid in a candy store in this place. I've gotten their raspberry danish twice, because it is simply DIVINE. I've also tried their pumpkin wheel and their scones are always awesome. Inspect your food though; my boyfriend ordered the "Superman Muffin" and there was mold on it. That was right when they first opened though, so maybe they're more on top of that stuff by now:) They always have free samples at the counter and the staff is always friendly. The lady in the back making stuff looks like she could use a hug though.
Review by champurrado on September 16, 2010:
- Go Champs! I'm really stoked about this place. The service is ridiculously kind and friendly. It makes me want to go back and support them just because they're so nice.
But on to the food: you can pick cookies and have them do a sandwich with either soft serve or frosting (chocolate oatmeal cookies with vanilla softserve was really good).
They have black and white cookies, which I've always heard were overhyped, but I liked them.
I loved the flavor of the cinnamon roll, but I think it could have risen a bit more and been more fluffy.
The best part of the whole thing for me were the danishes with berries and cream cheese. Taking them home and heating slightly in the microwave brougth back serious Entenmann's flashbacks (but way better of course).
The decor is still sparse, but it looks like they have plans to set up a wall of pictures of vegan 'champs'--right now they've got Mike Tyson (I think?), Rue McClannhan, and that vegan hockey player. That alone has the potential for awesomeness. Also, prices were a lot more reasonable than I was expecting.
Review by Veganne on August 12, 2010:
- I got a box of stuff to sample and was impressed with the pignoli cookies. They were soft and sweet, almost like marzipan, and dotted with pignolis--bravo! The crumb cake muffin was excellent and perfect with coffee. The rocky road cookie was delicious, with gooey marshmallow melted into it. The fruit scone was good as were some of the other varieties of cookies we tried--with the exception of the black/white cookie. That one was dry and flavorless. Lifethyme makes the best black/white cookie I've tried so far.
All in all, a trip to Champs is worth a subway ride if you live outside the neighborhood. Especially since I hear they'll be making vegan croissants!!
Review by beanmail on August 4, 2010:
- I went for the soft opening & I'm already hella impressed.
The staff was all super friendly and welcoming, the space is gorgeous and startlingly clean. The food? They promised authentic Brooklyn bakery goodies and they have delivered: http://a-soy-bean.blogspot.com/2010/08/vegans-i-have-seen-champs-and-it-is.html
They have more selections every day so I will check back periodically to try whatever is in store!